Are you considering getting a towing truck and have decided to buy a GMC Sierra 1500, but want to know its towing capacity before paying?
This blog post will guide you on what to expect from your GMC Sierra 1500.
We will look at its towing capacity and the different trims available. We will also discuss the Engine and the towing capacity for each one.
What is the Towing Capacity of GMC Sierra 1500?
The GMC Sierra 1500 has different models released over the years.
These models have different towing capacities and specifications.
To help you make an informed decision, we will look at all the models and show their towing capacity.
Check out the chart below for the towing capacity of the GMC Sierra 1500 by year.
|Model Year||Maximum Towing Capacity (lbs)|
|2021 GMC Sierra 1500||7,400 – 11,800|
|2020 GMC Sierra 1500||6.600 – 12,100|
|2019 GMC Sierra 1500||6,500 – 12,200|
|2018 GMC Sierra 1500||5,500 – 9,800|
|2017 GMC Sierra 1500||4,600 – 9,800|
|2016 GMC Sierra 1500||5,400 – 9,800|
The above table shows that the GMC Sierra 1500 can tow up to 12,200 pounds based on the configurations and types of equipment.
If you need your GMC to be able to tow the maximum towing capacity, then you may have to look into getting the 6-liter, V-8 Engine that offers the maximum towing capacity.
Let’s look at the towing capability of the different engines and how they stack against each other.
GMC Sierra 1500 Towing Capacity by Engine
Like with most trucks, the Engine determines the towing capacity for the 2021 GMC Sierra 1500.
You need to know your truck’s engine type and capacity to make informed decisions.
Look at the towing capacity for each Engine available for the GMC Sierra 1500.
|Engine type||Maximum Towing Capacity (Pounds)|
|4.3-Liter EcoTec3 V-6||7,900 lbs|
|2.7-liter turbo four-cylinder||9,200 lbs|
|3.0-liter Duramax turbo-diesel||9,300 lbs|
|5.3-Liter EcoTec3 V-8 AFM||9,900 lbs|
|5.3-Liter EcoTec3 V-8 DFM||11,300 lbs|
|6.2-Liter EcoTec3 V-8||11,800 lbs|
Different Trim of the GMC Sierra 1500 and Specifications
The GMC Sierra 1500 comes in five popular trims with unique specifications and engines.
You can choose anyone depending on what you want it to do or what you expect from your truck.
Below are the different trims and what they offer:
5.3L V8 Engine. It also has an alternative 3.0L Duramax Turbo Diesel Engine and 6.2L V8 Engine with a 10-Speed Automatic transmission.
- Offers the best trailering experience with trailering assistant technology that includes an in-vehicle trailering app that helps make towing easier for you
- It comes with a 13.4″ Diagonal Center Touchscreen and a 12.3″ Diagonal Driver Information Center.
- This trim also has 20″ Polished Aluminum Wheels with technical Painted Accents.
- 10-way Power-Adjustable ventilated and heated seats with perforated leather appointments.
- 3.0L Duramax Turbo Diesel Engine and 6.2L V8 Engine with 10-Speed Automatic transmission
- It comes with a 13.4″ Diagonal Center Touchscreen with a 12.3″ Diagonal Driver Information Center. It also has a Multicolor 15″ Diagonal Head-up display.
- 2″ Factory with off-road suspensions as well as a Monotube shock
- It has a 2-speed automatic transfer case and an Automatic Locking Rear with Underbody skid plates.
- Jet black interior with Kalahari accents and heated, ventilated perforated front leather seat.
- The AT4X trim comes with the Standard 6.2L V8 Engine with 420 Horsepower and 420 lb-ft of Torque with Speed automatic transmission.
- Sierra-First Application of Multimatic DSSV Spool-Valve dampers
- It comes with the Ventilated and Heated Rear E-LOCKING Differentials which are not available in any other in its class.
- It has Heated 16-way Power front seats that massage.
- 12-speaker Bose Premium speakers with surround sound
- Obsidian Rush Interior with Full Grain Leather Seating and Technical Grain Leather Accents
- The Denali trim has a 5.3L V8 Engine OR 3.0L Duramax Turbo Diesel Engine and a 6.2L V8 Engine with a 10-Speed Automatic transmission.
- It has a 13.4″ Diagonal Center Touchscreen and a 12.3″ Diagonal Driver Information Center. Moreover, it also has a Multicolor 15″ diagonal head-up display.
- Original Open-pore wood with patterned Aluminum trim with Forge Perforated Seating surfaces.
- Standard 6.2L V8 Engine or 3.0L Duramax Turbo Diesel Engine
- 12-speaker Bose Premium speakers with surround sound
- Denali Vader Chrome Grille and Exclusive 22″ Low-gloss Balck Aluminum wheels with Machined Accents.
- Heated and Ventilated 16-way Power front seats that massage.
What can the GMC Sierra 1500 Tow?
If you buy a GMC Sierra 1500, you will want to know what it can tow.
With a maximum towing capacity of a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 coming in at 11,800 pounds when properly equipped, the GMC Sierra 1500 can handle a lot of heavy-duty stuff.
The 11,800 pounds is powerful enough to tow a trailer, a medium boat, a camper or mobile home, or even a building site equipment with cement, gravel, sand, etc.
GMC Sierra 1500 Alternatives
If you want other alternative trucks to the GMC Sierra 1500, I recommend the Ram 1500 and Toyota Tundra.
They are excellent alternatives for the GMC Sierra.
The 2002 Ram 1500 is not a reliable alternative to GMS Sierra 1500; it is one of America’s most popular trucks.
Of course, the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and the GMC Sierra 1500 produce almost identical horsepower and similar performance specifications.
However, a properly equipped Chevy Silverado 1500 has a higher towing capacity than the GMC Sierra 1500.
The GMC Sierra 1500 has a maximum towing capacity of 11,800 pounds, depending on the model and engine capability.
You can get the maximum towing capacity if you buy the 2021 Model with a 6.2-liter EcoTec3 V-8 engine.
The GMC Sierra 1500 can tow a small boat, a mobile home, and building site equipment.
If you want a fantastic towing experience with fabulous interiors and an excellent surround sound system, you won’t go wrong with the GMC Sierra 1500.